1.04.2011

Box Braids.

As a kid growing up in the Bahamas, I remember reggae artist Patra & her signature long box braids.


Then we all remember a young Janet Jackson  donning them alongside Pac, in the movie Poetic Justice


As a youngin' I couldn't wait for my turn to get the box braids, I will never forget wearing them long & then later bobbed. The process took about 6 hours, using a wide toothed comb, grease & 3-packs of kanekalon hair. Oh, and lets not forget whoever braided your hair had to leave out enough "baby hairs" for us to precisely slick down the edges with gel or JAM! Throughout the years us braid rocking sistas have turnt to other braided styles, one being the smaller more functional micro braids. Because those lovely box braids were heavy honey!

I just stumbled on a new pic of Solange rocking the box braids that Patra, Yo-Yo & Brandy made ever so popular & wondered how cool would it be if they made a comeback for 2011.

Miss Solo is definitely a "Queen of the Pack" always staying very true to herself but I'm not sure how many others could rock them as cool as she in 2011. Should be interesting to see. 

 Lawd-a-Merci.

1 comment:

  1. They so should make a comeback! I would definitely rock me some box braids in 2011! Especially growing up with Brandy as my idol back in the 90's, and not being allowed to get them because my hair was too long in the first place! I'm down for bringing them back!

    ReplyDelete